Armies of China and India pull back from hand-to-hand border battle zone – The Guardian

China and India have been pulling back frontline troops along disputed portions of their mountain border where they have been in a standoff for months, officials in both countries said.

The troops started the disengagement on Wednesday at the southern and northern bank of Pangong Lake in the Ladakh region, according to the officials.

India and China would remove forward deployments in a “phased, coordinated and verified manner”, the Indian defence minister, Rajnath Singh, told parliament on Thursday.

China’s defence ministry said in a statement on Wednesday that both sides had started a “synchronised and organised” disengagement.

The tense standoff high in the Karakoram mountains began in early May when Indian officials said Chinese soldiers crossed the frontier at three different points in Ladakh, erecting tents and guard posts and ignoring verbal warnings to leave. That triggered shouting matches, stone-throwing and fistfights, much of it replayed on television news channels and social media.

Tensions exploded into hand-to-hand combat with clubs, stones and fists on 15 June that left 20 Indian soldiers dead. China is believed to also have had casualties but has not given any details.

Since then both the countries have stationed tens of thousands of their soldiers backed by artillery, tanks and fighter jets along the fiercely contested Line of Actual Control, or LAC, with troops settling in for the harsh winter.

The LAC separates Chinese-held and Indian-held territories from Ladakh in the west to India’s eastern state of Arunachal Pradesh, which China claims in its entirety. It is broken in parts where Nepal and Bhutan border China. It divides areas of physical control rather than territorial claims.

India claims the Chinese-controlled Aksai Chin plateau as part of the Ladakh region. According to India the control line is 3,488km (2,167 miles) long, while China says it is considerably shorter.

Relations between the two countries have often been strained, partly due to their disputed border. They fought a border war in 1962 that spilled into Ladakh and ended in an uneasy truce. Since then troops have guarded the undefined border and occasionally brawled. They have agreed not to attack each other with firearms.

But in September China and India accused each other of sending soldiers into the other’s territory and fired warning shots for the first time in 45 years, raising the spectre of full-scale military conflict.

India unilaterally declared Ladakh a federal territory and separated it from disputed Kashmir in August 2019, ending Indian-administered Kashmir’s semi-autonomous status. It also vowed to take back the Aksai Chin plateau. China was among the first countries to strongly condemn the move, raising it at international forums including the UN security council.

Sorgente articolo:
Armies of China and India pull back from hand-to-hand border battle zone – The Guardian

User ID Campaign ID Link
d9a95efa0a2845057476957a427b0499 l-99999983 Ugo Fiasconaro
d9a95efa0a2845057476957a427b0499 l-99999994 Email Campaign
d9a95efa0a2845057476957a427b0499 l-99999979 Fiasconaro
d9a95efa0a2845057476957a427b0499 l-99999993 Buy Pixel