An Iranian ship thought to be used by Iran’s elite military force was attacked Tuesday near Saudi-Yemeni waters, both U.S. and Iranian officials said, in an apparent escalation of a conflict between Iran and its regional foes.
The attack of the Saviz, believed by U.S. officials and others in the region to be used for intelligence collection by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, was attacked Tuesday in the Red Sea, officials said. The attack came as international talks to revive a nuclear accord between Iran and the U.S. started in Vienna.
The attack came after revelations last month, reported by The Wall Street Journal, that Israel has been targeting ships carrying fuel and weaponry from Iran to Syria for about the past 18 months. At least a dozen ships have been targeted, according to the Journal report.
It wasn’t clear yet who attacked the Saviz. Israeli officials declined to comment.
“We are aware of media reporting of an incident involving the Saviz in the Red Sea,” a Pentagon spokeswoman said. “We can confirm that no U.S. forces were involved in the incident. We have no additional information to provide.”