What has been said?
With clubs withdrawing, Agnelli conceded the Super League could no longer proceed.
“To be frank and honest no, evidently that is not the case,” said Agnelli, when asked whether the Super League could still happen.
“I remain convinced of the beauty of that project, of the value that it would have developed to the pyramid, of the creation of the best competition in the world, but evidently no.
“I don’t think that project is now still up and running.”
On the six English clubs withdrawing, Agnelli cited Boris Johnson’s influence, saying: “I have had speculation to that extent that if six teams would have broken away and would have threatened the EPL (Premier League), politics would have seen that as an attack to Brexit and their political scheme.”
What had Agnelli said previously?
“There is a blood pact between the clubs, we are going forward,” he told Italian outlet La Republica on Tuesday.
“This project has a 100 per cent possibility of success.”
The European Super League also released a statement in the early hours of Wednesday morning saying they would “reconsider steps to reshape its project” following mounting opposition and the withdrawal of the English clubs.
What happened on Tuesday?
The six English clubs involved in plans to form a European Super League all pulled out of the proposed breakaway tournament and Inter Milan also stated they are no longer interested in the current project.
Manchester City became the first team to quit the project on Tuesday evening, with Chelsea also making it known that they were taking steps to end their involvement.
They were later followed by Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal, who all confirmed their withdrawal from the Super League in club statements.
Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward also resigned from his role on a night of high drama, which saw the extremely controversial Super League plans lie in tatters.
The six Premier League teams involved in the Super League project had all come under considerable pressure to walk away.
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp and Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola both spoke out against the project, while there were protests outside Stamford Bridge ahead of Chelsea’s goalless draw with Brighton & Hove Albion.
The Premier League’s other 14 clubs also held an emergency meeting on Tuesday, afterwards releasing a statement in which they once again rejected the project.
On Wednesday morning, Liverpool owner John W Henry issued an apology to all Liverpool supporters following the club’s involvement in the Super League proposals.
(Photo: Jakub Porzycki/NurPhoto via Getty Images)